Senior Front-end Developer
We’re looking for a seasoned, professional, dedicated, and pragmatic Senior Front-end Developer.
You’ll have input at all levels of a project and be able to communicate your ideas clearly as you’ll be working day-to-day in a multi-disciplinary team.
We're looking for a great communicator who writes and speaks with empathy when working with clients and colleagues. You’ll have initiative, be able to work independently, and have the support of your peers.
But, what really counts is your ability to learn, teach, communicate and operate at a high level in an agency environment.
Who are you?
The successful candidate will be:
- Responsible and friendly
- Highly motivated, showing initiative
- A great communicator, passionate about their work.
While we value formal qualifications they’re not essential. We value proven experience, demonstrable analytical thinking, and great communication skills.
In this role you’ll
- Architect projects, tools, and front-end development workflows, internally and for our clients.
- Estimate tasks, features, and projects to help us plan effectively.
- Work closely with others in the Technical team to ensure all work meets our high standards and follows established best-practice processes and methodology.
- Work closely with other disciplines to efficiently deliver client projects that meet the required outcomes.
- Support the team in developing, maintaining, and documenting our frameworks, tools, and code libraries.
- Contribute to project documentation and code reuse.
- Demonstrate our expertise publicly via blog posts, talks, social media presence, open-source contributions.
- Stay up-to-date with developing technologies and methodologies, attending relevant training workshops/seminars/online learning where appropriate.
- Help to train others, provide meaningful and helpful input, and review the work of your peers and juniors.
- Help clients and other Springloaders to understand the issues around projects and enable them to communicate these clearly.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders and clients to enable collaboration and achieve outcomes in line with Springload’s business goals.
- Maintain websites and test changes across a range of browsers and devices.
Core front-end skills
- Ability to communicate front-end development matters clearly to other team members, clients, and partners
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility constraints
- Experience with CSS preprocessing (SCSS, PostCSS) and HTML templating
- Experience with large-scale CSS architecture (BEM, ITCSS)
- Basic understanding of object-oriented and functional programming concepts
- Experience with browser development tools (such as Chrome or Firefox DevTools)
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in server-side web development stacks
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle, agile and waterfall methodologies
- Experience with client-side frameworks (such as React, Angular, or Backbone)
- Experience with content management systems or e-commerce platforms
- Familiarity with version control via Git, continuous integration, issue trackers, wikis, and pull request workflows
- Familiarity with front-end build tools and task runners (Webpack, Rollup)
- Familiarity with software testing – unit tests, integration tests
- Understanding of RESTful principles and HTTP verbs
- Working knowledge of the Unix command line and a shell of your choice
- Basic knowledge of design software (Sketch), comfortable working with vectors and SVG.
- Experience designing user interfaces with a user experience (UX) approach
- Understanding of fundamentals of typography
- Ability to do basic server administration from the command line
- Familiarity with server-side programming stacks (we use Python, Ruby, PHP and Node)
- Experience with the Django framework, and Wagtail CMS
- Experience working with style guides and pattern libraries
- Familiarity with web development and open-source communities
- Advanced HTML and CSS knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of React – Redux, client-side routing, code splitting, etc
- Advanced testing skills – accessibility tests, automated cross-browser tests, automated UI regression
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in client-side JS stacks
- Familiarity with other development stacks and platforms (iOS, Android, .NET, etc)
Springload’s culture is like no other in Wellington. We work hard but the atmosphere in the office is collaborative and friendly. There’s always plenty of Peoples coffee, healthy snacks, and craft beer in the fridge. We’re no sweatshop – we like Springloaders to enjoy their work but go home on time.
Springload promotes a workplace that celebrates diversity, creativity, and talent. We come from all over the world and we support equality for women in tech. We’ve made a formal commitment to ensuring fairness in our workplace when we joined the Diversity Works (Previously the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust).
What we can offer
- A competitive salary
- Learning & growth – if you want to grow, we’ll give you the opportunities you’re looking for
- A beautiful workplace with lots of break-out areas to fuel your soul
- A team of highly talented teammates who strive to create world class experiences that make people's lives better
- Springload is based in Wellington, New Zealand – the best city in New Zealand (and some say, the world)
- Don't have residency? We can help you with your work visa as we’re an Accredited Employer with New Zealand Immigration.