Lead Front-end Developer
We’re looking for a seasoned, professional, dedicated, and pragmatic developer to lead the front-end delivery of large projects for our primary clients.
You’ll have input at all levels of a project and be able to communicate your ideas clearly as you’ll be working day-to-day in a multi-disciplinary team.
This is a senior role. We expect you to take on some leadership responsibilities as well as contribute to company and client strategy. We're looking for a great communicator who writes and speaks with empathy when working with clients and colleagues. You’ll have initiative, be able to work independently, and have the support of your peers.
But, what really counts is your ability to learn, teach, communicate and operate at a high level in an agency environment.
Who are you?
The successful candidate will be:
- Responsible and friendly
- Highly motivated, showing initiative
- A great communicator, passionate about their work.
While we value formal qualifications they’re not essential. We value proven experience, demonstrable analytical thinking, and great communication skills.
In this role you’ll
- Be leading the front-end delivery of large projects for our key clients
- Be a client-facing member of the team
- Collaborate with the back-end and infrastructure team, to ensure cohesiveness
- Help lead a team of developers and foster a culture of excellence
- Work with the team to identify requirements
- Architect and deliver well-engineered, reliable and high performance solutions for our clients
- Support the rest of the front-end project team – collaborating, communicating and reviewing
- Working with the project management and leadership team to highlight and mitigate risks.
Core front-end skills
- Ability to communicate front-end development matters clearly to other team members, clients, and partners
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility constraints
- Experience with CSS preprocessing (SCSS, PostCSS) and HTML templating
- Experience with large-scale CSS architecture (BEM, ITCSS)
- Basic understanding of object-oriented and functional programming concepts
- Experience with browser development tools (such as Chrome or Firefox DevTools)
- Experience with client-side frameworks (such as React, Angular, or Backbone)
- Experience with content management systems or e-commerce platforms
- Familiarity with version control via Git, continuous integration, issue trackers, wikis, and pull request workflows
- Familiarity with front-end build tools and task runners (Webpack, Rollup)
- Familiarity with software testing – unit tests, integration tests
- Understanding of RESTful principles and HTTP verbs
- Working knowledge of the Unix command line and a shell of your choice
- Basic knowledge of design software (Sketch), comfortable working with vectors and SVG.
- Higher level of expertise across the board
- Experience training development teams
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in server-side web development stacks
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle, agile and waterfall methodologies
- Experience designing user interfaces with a user experience (UX) approach
- Understanding of fundamentals of typography
- Ability to do basic server administration from the command line
- Familiarity with server-side programming stacks (we use Python, Ruby, PHP and Node)
- Experience with the Django framework, and Wagtail CMS
- Experience working with style guides and pattern libraries
- Familiarity with web development and open-source communities
- Advanced HTML and CSS knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of React – Redux, client-side routing, code splitting, etc
- Advanced testing skills – accessibility tests, automated cross-browser tests, automated UI regression
- Experience architecting front-end codebases in client-side JS stacks
- Familiarity with other development stacks and platforms (iOS, Android, .NET, etc)
Springload’s culture is like no other in Wellington. We work hard but the atmosphere in the office is collaborative and friendly. There’s always plenty of Peoples coffee, healthy snacks, and craft beer in the fridge. We’re no sweatshop – we like Springloaders to enjoy their work but go home on time.
Springload promotes a workplace that celebrates diversity, creativity, and talent. We come from all over the world and we support equality for women in tech. We’ve made a formal commitment to ensuring fairness in our workplace when we joined the Diversity Works (Previously the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust).
What we can offer
- A competitive salary
- Learning & growth – if you want to grow, we’ll give you the opportunities you’re looking for
- A beautiful workplace with lots of break-out areas to fuel your soul
- A team of highly talented teammates who strive to create world class experiences that make people's lives better
- Springload is based in Wellington, New Zealand – the best city in New Zealand (and some say, the world)
- Don't have residency? we can help you with your work visa as we’re an Accredited Employer with New Zealand Immigration.