Senior Sysadmin and Devops
We're looking for a flexible problem solver. Someone that is automation focused and has experience with a variety of platforms and technology, ideally with some degree of development background. The role is highly Cloud and DevOps focussed.
Some specific beneficial skills :
- Terraform / Terragrunt
- AWS expertise
You’ll build durable, sustainable infrastructure for our clients.
You’ll support our developers in their everyday work by building automated processes to help deploy and test our applications.
You’ll support and build internal networking and hardware capacity and maintain the security and integrity of both Springload and our client’s information and network.
- Architect projects, tools, and both sysadmin and devops workflows internally and for our clients.
- Estimate tasks, features, and projects to help us plan projects effectively.
- Work closely with others in the technical team to ensure all work meets our high standards and follows established best-practice processes and methodology.
- Work closely with other disciplines to efficiently deliver client projects that meet the required outcomes.
- Support the team in developing, maintaining, and documenting our frameworks, tools, and code libraries.
- Contribute to project documentation and code reuse.
- Demonstrate our expertise publicly via blog posts, talks, social media presence, open-source contributions.
- Stay up-to-date with developing technologies and methodologies, attending relevant training workshops/seminars/online learning where appropriate.
- Help to train others, provide meaningful and helpful input, and review the work of your peers and juniors.
- Help clients and other Springloaders to understand the issues around projects and enable them to communicate these clearly.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders and clients to enable collaboration and achieve outcomes in line with Springload’s business goals.
- Build and maintain secure, resilient infrastructure solutions.
- Adhere to infrastructure design best practices.
- Stay informed with emerging and current security issues and proactively suggest or implement effective countermeasures.
- Help ensure Springload remains in compliance with contractual commitments regarding security and infrastructure.
- Help developers to build sustainable, secure, and resilient solutions by advising on infrastructure choices and how they could impact a solution.
- Help diagnose and resolve performance, security, and other issues.
- Drive efficiency by working with the development team to automate as much of their work as possible.
- Ensure we have efficient, well-tuned CI and CD systems.
- Engineer reliability into everything that we build by working closely with the development team.
- Clear communication skills, especially when explaining technical concepts to less technical people.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Solid understanding of sysadmin and devops design patterns, principles, and ability to apply them.
- A solid understanding and application of security and data privacy principles.
- Highly evolved approach to systems automation.
- Excellent shell scripting and command line skills.
- High level of proficiency and production-level experience of at least one IAC or infrastructure automation framework (e.g. Ansible, SaltStack, Terraform).
- High level of proficiency or certification in at least one global-scale public cloud (e.g. GCP, AWS).
- Very good understanding of networking fundamentals.
- Excellent understanding of the operational attributes and roles of popular, current technology solutions, ideally in the context of public cloud operations. For example: RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL), Queueing (AWS SQS, AMQP), and caching (REDIS, Memcache).
- Deep understanding of configuration, tuning, and performance attributes of popular, current technology solutions, ideally in the context of public cloud operations (RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL), Queueing (SQS, REDIS) and caching (REDIS, Memcache).
- Some knowledge of development practices.
- Helpful and proactive attitude.
Other useful skills
- Experience training and mentoring others.
- Experience in an agile working environment.
- Web or app development experience
Springload’s culture is like no other in Wellington. We work hard but the atmosphere in the office is collaborative and friendly. There’s always plenty of Flight Coffee brewing, and craft beer and healthy snacks in the fridge. We’re no sweatshop—we like Springloaders to enjoy their work but go home on time.
Springload promotes a workplace that celebrates diversity, creativity, and talent. Our talent come from all over the world and almost half of our 70+ staff are women. We’ve made a formal commitment to ensuring fairness in our workplace when we joined the Diversity Works (Previously the Equal Employment Opportunities Trust).
What we can offer
- A competitive salary.
- A Wellness package.
- Learning & growth — if you want to grow, we’ll give you the opportunities you’re looking for.
- A beautiful workplace with lots of break-out areas to fuel your soul.
- A team of highly talented teammates who strive to create world class experiences that make people's lives better.
- The best city in New Zealand (and some say, the world). Springload is based in Wellington, New Zealand.